This was my second year on the Humana Healthier Choices panel for the Taste of Chicago and it is always a thrill to take part–I have grown up attending the Taste and it is an honor to help in any small way.
The panel of four healthcare professionals were asked to review a list of foods submitted by various Taste of Chicago vendors to be included as a “Healthier Choice.”
In order to obtain the Humana Healthier Choice logo for the Taste, the items must to meet the following requirements:
Less than 500 calories (25% Daily Value)
Less than 4 grams saturated fat (20% DV)
Less than 480 mg sodium (20% DV)
Less than 250 calories
Less than 2 grams saturated fat
Less than 240 mg of sodium
Here is a complete list of the foods we selected: Healthier Choices Guide
The most important thing for Taste of Chicago attendees to remember is that the foods that are chosen certainly are healthier choices, but it is the cumulative amount consumed throughout their day at the that contributes to overall health.
Some tips for making healthy choices at the Taste of Chicago:
- Stick to 500-600 calories per meal
- Limit the caloric beverages
- Stick to Taste portions (and possibly share that with family and friends) to get the most bang for your calorie intake
- Take advantage of the surrounding area during the Taste–walk along the lakefront or through Millennium Park and Lurie Gardens to get more physical activity to burn some of the calories consumed at the Taste
- Eat smaller meals surrounding your visit to the Taste to reduce your overall calories for the day
- Enjoy more of the fresh fruits and vegetables when you arrive to fill up on lower calorie foods
- Be sure to visit the non-food vendors at the Taste — there is always something interesting showcasing Chicago
Have a fun (and healthy) weekend at the Taste of Chicago!